Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Bite Beauty - Matte Creme Lip Crayon Review + Swatches: Torte & Cafe

Happy Chinese New Year everyone!

For those of you who celebrate, did you have a good weekend? I didn't do anything too interesting. Went out to eat with some family, which was nice. But aside from that, basically a regular weekend.

During my lipstick obsession phase, I had wanted to try a lipstick from every brand. Luckily, Sephora helps feed this obsession by releasing lipstick value sets throughout the year. I currently have my eye on the "Give Me Some Nude" set right now.


Originally, this set came with 4. But the other two colours which was a purple and red appealed to my friend more, while the colours above appealed to me. So when we purchased this set, I took these two and she took the other two.

After trying these out, I can see why Bite lip products are so popular!

Taken from Sephora:
Collection of lip crayons in timeless matte shades that provide superior hydration [...] moisture-locking power of orange peel wax along with antioxidant properties of resveratrol. Each gorgeous shade is water-resistant and long wearing
Packaging

I find the packaging really unique. The texture is very different from any other brands. It's matte and has a slight rubbery feel to it. The same material is used for their lipstick covers. I mean, I certainly don't have to worry about fingerprints on the packaging. I'm looking at you, Tom Ford! 

I have no qualms with the packaging, I quite like it! Sometimes, it's not about the flashing packaging. Bite Beauty places importance in the quality of their products. All their lip products are hand made with, "nourishing and restorative benefits".

Product/Swatches

When I first purchased these, I didn't really know what to expect. I know the brand is Canadian and they use natural ingredients, but aside from that, they're a fairly new brand. But wow, these lip crayons glide on like a butter! They are so creamy and pigmented. Seriously, one swipe and it is fully opaque. 

There's also a slight scent. Nothing too overwhelming. It smells faintly like wax, but it dissipates almost immediately.


While they are matte, they're not as matte and drying as say NARS Cruella. It would be more accurate to describe them as semi-matte. It is as Bite Beauty claims, hydrating. Water-resistant sure, but definitely not super long wearing. The longevity is better than a regular lipstick, but it does still come off from eating and drinking. 

That being said, the crayons are really comfortable on the lips. 

Torte

Torte is my favourite of the two. It's a dark rosey pink that is really flattering for my skin tone. It looks more satin/glossy in the photo, but I did apply a thick layer onto my lips. If I apply it the same amount as I usually do, it does look more semi-matte. 

But look at how plump and moisturized my lips are in that photo! 

Cafe

I mean, this is my least worn shade and I'm sure you can see why. It's a peachy nude but it is far too light for my skin. It really drains me out. This would look good on someone with fairer skin than I. 

Overall Thoughts

It is actually a shame that the four shades in the Bite Beauty Rewind set seem to be limited edition. But the lip crayons come in so many different colours that it's super easy to find similar shades.

Cafe is way too pale of a shade for me, but I love Torte. The crayons aren't drying and I love how they feel on my lips. They're definitely worth trying. 

If you're ever in New York or Toronto, they have their own Bite Beauty Lab where you can make you own lipstick and shade. I would be interested in trying that out in the future.

Honestly, I don't really have anything bad to say about these crayons. Cafe may not have been a great shade for me, but the product itself is still great. If  you're interested in trying out multiple colours, I would recommend keeping your eye out for their holiday sets on Sephora. 

The set was $29 CAD + taxes for four deluxe sizes. The full sized lip crayons are $28 CAD + taxes at Sephora.

Summary

The Good
  • Very creamy
  • Very pigmented
  • Not drying
  • Comfortable on the lips
  • No overwhelming scent
The Bad
  • Claims matte, more semi-matte
Have you tried Bite Beauty before? Which products or shades have you tried and which are your favourite?

No comments :

Post a Comment